It’s been said that laughter is infectious. The sound of people laughing can be more contagious than any other noise in the world. When laughter is shared, it binds people together and it increases happiness and intimacy. It also stimulates healthy physical changes in the body such as: strengthening your immune system, boosting your energy, diminishing pain and elevating stress.1 So, if you are feeling rundown, have a little laugh and put that pep back in your step!
Laughing your butt off can be a blast, but what if your laughing fit turns into an “I can’t breathe,” fit? Then what? If you had Life Alert Protection, you would simply push the button on your emergency pendant and you would receive an emergency response fast! Their dispatch center is open 24 hours a day, 7 days, a week so you never have to worry when you decide to watch Comedy Central!
We all know that laughing feels good, but who knew that it was good for you too? Here are some of the health benefits you could reap the next time you have a good belly aching laugh!
1. Relaxes the body: A good hearty laugh relieves physical tension and stress, leaving your muscles relaxed for up to 45 minutes after!1
2. Boosts the immune system: Laughter decreases stress hormones and increases immune cells and infection fighting antibodies, thus improving your resistance to disease.1
3. Triggers the release of endorphins: Endorphins promote an overall sense of well-being and can temporarily relieve pain.
4. Protects the heart: Laughter improves the function of blood vessels and increases blood flow which can help to protect you against a heart attack.
Recent studies have shown that adults who have a sense of humor actually live longer! There has also been proof that a good sense of humor could increase your survival rate by 35% should you be diagnosed with a severe disease.2 With all of these positive facts, a good laugh seems like something we should all strive for daily. So grab a friend, head to the comedy club or pop in a funny movie and get ready to reap the rewards!
However, a home invasion, fire or debilitating fall is no laughing matter and for seniors who are living independently this could result in disaster or even death. That is why you need Life Alert. Their no hassle, easy to use medical pendant is weightless and waterproof so you can even wear it in the shower! Should you encounter an emergency, simply push the button on your medical pendant and receive attention fast, 24/7! So laugh in the face of danger, because you have Life Alert Protection. For a free brochure on Life Alert’s services, call 1-800-513-2934.
1. Smith, Melinda M.A and Jeanne Segal, Ph.D. “Laughter is the Best Medicine.” HelpGuide.org. April 2015. < http://www.helpguide.org/articles/emotional-health/laughter-is-the-best-medicine.htm>.
2. Gendry, Sebastien. “How Laughter Helps Seniors Stay In Good Health, Good Cheer.” Laughter Online University. < http://www.laughteronlineuniversity.com/laughter-seniors/>.